Tuesday 17 June 2014

Muller Time for Germany as Thomas' hat trick and Pepe's idiocy induce a TV nightmare on Portugal (and this blogger)


The 2014 World Cup is the most technologically advanced Coupe de Monde of all time. Fact. We have the goal line technology (and it works) and we have the referees and their spray cans (which also look to work).We have that amazing overhead camera that I know has been used for years, but still looks amazing; we have players tweeting selfies with physios, politicians and multiple versions of themselves and fans tweeting players and pundits with opinions, praise and complaints.


                                                        # BALOTELLILAD



We also have various platforms on which we can keep up with the games; live blogs, digital radio and of course live footage on mobile and tablet devices. These are ideal for me, as my commute home from work coincides with the kick off of the second half of the 5pm game. Believe it or not, kjisnotinbrazilfortheworldcup blog fans, I am but a lowly social media advisor, and not the professional football writer that you may have been led to believe as you scroll through these pages.

Instead of being paid to offer my analysis, musings and such like on the beautiful game, my bills are paid by asking people for their full postcodes via Twitter and being a First World Problem Solver on Facebook for a Hong Kong based mobile telecoms company. It's not the worst of jobs, as it makes me appreciate that in comparison to people with nothing better to do with their lives than complain that they haven't been able to use Facebook for an hour, by telling me this on Facebook, my life is quite sweet.

It's upped my tolerance for certain things (mainly technology and morons) but it's human nature to be frustrated when you can't get what you want.

For example, I really wanted to watch Portugal versus Germany yesterday. Having seen the first 30 minutes via the work WiFi and my iPad (#humblebrag), I was content with knowing I'd miss the latter part of the half in order to get my train. Half past five came and I went, making a beeline for the lower platform at Glasgow Central, going past the big clock in the centre of it at my usual time.

However, as the Germans were making a fine example of their well known efficiency, Scotrail were not, as for some unknown reason, my train had already been and gone. This was a setback.

With forty minutes to wait for my next train, I opted to find somewhere that I could sit in peace to get the start of the second half. iPad out again, I went back on to TV Catch Up to continue my viewing. This would be TV Catch Up that doesn't work over a cellular connection. With my Sky subscription cancelled as of Saturday, SkyGo was a no go and having seen Tony Pulis was commentating on Five Live, I decided no picture was better than this audio.

I took to Twitter to see the Germans were 3-0 up and the Portuguese were a man down, with STV offering a replay of Muller's second goal. Then it hit me.

Ess Tee Vee Dot Tee Vee Dash Player!

I quickly scrambled to the log in page and decided to hell with it, I'll "Login using Facebook", that most infuriating of options given. All I want to do is watch some football, I don't want to give you access to my photos and contacts, but if I must, to save literally twenty seconds of using my email address to register, then so be it.

                                                          DOESN'T WORK



Incidentally, by the time I had thought of STV's online channel, I had five minutes to get my train, so I logged in and left it at that until about Rutherglen. I'd missed the opening 18 minutes of the second half by this point. As soon as the four black dots appeared in the top left corner, the indicator that video will work on my device, powered by the company I work for, I went right back to Ess Tee Vee Dot Tee Vee Dash Player, only to be asked to login again!

I did as was asked. Apparently I was already logged in, which I had banked on in the first instance. Not to worry, I closed down the open window, rebooted it and sure enough I got in. World Cup 2014 was clicked, and the right-side-facing triangle known as the play button appeared over a picture of Switzerland v Ecuador. This wasn't the game I was looking for. I then spotted "Portugal v Germany Live" and touched on that picture. Sure enough, up popped the play button over the right picture and the QuickTime icon appeared. And stayed there.

For a while.

Until eventually the buffering circle began to move and a couple of adverts came on. By this point, I knew it was becoming a futile task, as there was about 10 minutes left of the game and I was halfway home. With the ticker on the advert counting backwards from 30, it wouldn't be long until I was watching the destruction handed out by the Deutschlanders to the Pepe-less Portuguese. The half minute elapsed, but no video came on. Just the same adverts again.

And with that, I gave up, and finished writing yesterday's blog instead. When I got home I did manage to catch the goals on the Beeb, but a game with a 4-0 scoreline and a ridiculous sending off was worthy of more than just the 40 seconds per incident afforded to it. Which is really why there's not much about the game in this blog.

First world problems, eh?

From what I did see before my catastrophic commute, the penalty awarded for the tug on Goetze was soft, probably a little harder than Fred's for Germany, but still soft. Muller made no mistake as he set himself on his way to a hat trick. Tony Kroos' delivery and Mats Hummels' header was Vorsprung Durch Technik personified, while Rui Patricio was more Basil Fawlty in trying to fend off the Germans.

Muller should be very grateful to the Portuguese goalie for gifting him his first international hat trick. How getting your whole body behind the ball results in the ball ending up in the net always baffled me when it happened to me in my goalkeeping heyday, but seeing Muller's second last night, I still can't get my head around it. Rui Patricio effectively made himself in to a ramp for the strike to go up and over, instead of being a wall with knees, to deflect the ball away.
                                                              
                                  ANGRY PIRATE LOOKING THOMAS MULLER


The final goal was just pish goal keeping. Having been bemused at Puma's odd boots thing they have going on, it was only a matter of time before I thought I'd see the odd gloves out in force for the goalies. On this occasion, Rui Patricio may have been better off with the boots on his hands, as he served the ball up to Muller on a grass covered plate.

Amidst the goals, there was some classic Pepe for the Portuguese to hang the defeat on. While not as violent as the Palacios-Pogba clash from the night before, the fact that the Real Madr-idiot went back to Muller to drop the cabeca (Cah-beh-sah) on him implied intent, so he had to go.

                                                      REAL MADRID-IOT


And with it went the Portuguese hopes of mounting a comeback. From the accounts I've read, Flat Ronaldo was anonymous, giving up on his man when he lost the ball as Germany almost grabbed a fourth, and hitting a very non Ronaldo free kick, which Neuer wristed to safety.

Similar to my inability to watch the game, Portugal seem to have been disconnected, not on the same channel as one another and haven't made an enjoyable start to their World Cup journey.  Much like Spain, their bounce-backability will be severely tested in their second group game, having suffered such a heavy opening game loss. For Ronaldo, this World Cup will be all about cementing him as the complete package at club and country level this year, but his club mate Pepe, put paid to any plans he had of getting on the way to that feat with his country.

The Germans on the other hand will be buoyed ahead of their next game, and with Muller making such a good start to the tournament, he could close in on Miroslav Klose's current German WC record of 14 goals, now that he is on eight in seven appearances.


In the day's other games, Iran and Nigeria gave up the tournament's first incident-less match with a 0-0 bore draw, while USA beat Ghana 2-1, Clint Dempsey kicking the soccer ball in to the goal bag in the first 30 seconds, Andrew Ayew levelling in the 82nd minute and John Brooks bulleting a header home with four minutes left. That win made up for two defeats in the last two World Cups that the Ghanaians have inflicted on 'Murica.

No comments:

Post a Comment